Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The flying environmentalist...



As I get ready to embark on another adventure, to add to feeling like a spoiled rotten twirp or brat which I may very well be, as I do believe we live like kings and queens used to live, a friend basically called a spade a spade saying that I am basically a hypocrite.  He argued that travelling to Vietnam to do a couple weeks of philanthropy work was not enough that to really live my blog I should move to a beach somewhere and live without an environmental footprint, enjoying local food and a very small carbon diet in terms of transport, heating my home, etc etc.  Not buying stuff which aside for kites I don't...  So why don't I do that?  I have often thought about it, I have even written about it for a school assignment last year, why don't I do that?  I do love where I live, I love being blocks from my parents and grandparents, many friends, a short bike ride to work or really anywhere in the  city, connected to music and environmental and social communities in Regina, I feel so connected to this place and the idea of leaving, even to live the life of nomadic kiteboarder definitely scares me.  So I guess I will get on a plane on Saturday morning and set sail to North Carolina, kiteboarding mecca with a group of 60 or so semi crazy Canadian kiteboarders...

How do we become  so connected to place?  How to balance a connection to place with a wander lust, a sense of adventure and most importantly a long distance love...    Vancouver, nomadic kiteboarder, semi frequent flying environmentalist... not sure if the last one is really fair...  late night thoughts, go canucks go!

a great discussion on air travel can be heard by George Monbiot who believes that there really is no place for air travel if we want to truly slow/stop human caused climate change...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbYsZFEYclM

1 comment:

  1. You are not a hypocrite. You do not strut about bragging about your self-sacrifice or minimal environmental impact. You sjust do what you do as best you can. An most importantly, you continue to think about it all and grow into it. And if you want more, then go for it! You deserve it because you at least are TRYING for more (which also happens to be less).

    ReplyDelete